Funding for Music Therapy

How can I cover costs of music therapy sessions for an individual?

Individuals receiving music therapy services are eligible for funding from Worksafe BC, ICBC and funding for autism. Otherwise, sessions are not normally covered by healthcare or extended healthcare.

MTABC is part of the Task Group for Counsellor Regulation in BC. This group is lobbying the BC government for music therapists and other counselors and therapists to be regulated under the Health Professions Act. Once this is approved, it is anticipated that music therapy services will be approved under private insurance plans.

Can a child with autism receive funding?

The Ministry of Children and Family Development will give block funding to parents/guardians which can cover music therapy for children ages six to nineteen years. Music therapy is called an Autism Related Intervention. The family can choose to have the money placed in their account and then pay the therapist directly, or, have the therapist contact the Ministry and send them invoices. Currently, this service ends when the child reaches the age of nineteen years. For further questions, people can contact the Autism Funds Processing Unit at 1-877-777-3530. More info available here too:

How can my organization cover a portion of costs for music therapy programs?

Funding for music therapy programs is available for application by a music therapist or with a partnership with an organization.  New or existing programs are eligible in BC or across Canada. Some of these funding bodies will only fund music therapy programs.  Other organizations, such as the CRD (Capitol Regional District in BC) will fund projects, including those services delivered by a music therapist. If your organization is interested in more receiving more details, please email Supriya at supriya.crocker (at)

Music Heals:

Canadian Music Therapy Trust Fund: